Friday, August 17, 2007

Week 7 Things 16 & 17

Thing #16
Wikis, wikis everywhere !! I never knew there were so many types of wikis, from instuctional to recreational, there's even a wiki for wikis. I also discovered an "outreach" wiki, this might be something that the girls and I could implement into our resources. This particular wiki shares "best practices" for outreach programs, including childrens activities and instruction. In addition, I thought it would be cool to have a community wiki, where local businesses and organizations can add events such as fund raisers, concerts, and activites. Even restaurants could get on board by posting lunch/ dinner specials , bands etc. If a cancellation comes up all they would have to do is edit the page. Wikis are definitely the future "hot spots" offering a world of information. * Just one more thought to add- Wikipedias should be used cautiously as reference sources since they are a collaboration of scholarly as well as personal insights.

Thing # 17
I had fun "playing in the sandbox", what a way to get to know people and also get ideas for things to do, books to read, sights to see etc. It's amazing how simple it is to create your very own personal wiki- that people can add to of course :) I will have to go back another time and add "my favorite things".

No comments: